The goal of this site is to find as many kinds of mac n' cheese as possible and try them so you don't have to! Stove-top, frozen, quick prepare (just add water), home made and anything served in a restaurant are all fair game! If it's name has macaroni n' cheese in it, I'm trying it.

My hope is that this blog will help you discover new varieties to try (and to avoid) or that killer home made recipe that is worth the work to make yourself.

When I'm not collecting video games, I'm eatin' mac n' cheese. Thanks for following me on this journey as I see what it takes to make me bleed cheese.

Saturday, July 14, 2012

A homeroom That Should Be In Every School

This blog has really opened my eyes.  I've been simply stunned by the amount of mac n' cheese out there.  Frozen kinds up the wazoo, enough just add water varieties to make the state call for water rationing and so many stove top kinds that I could fill a grocery aisle.  Restaurant mac n' cheeses are something that we're sorely lacking in comparison.

When I first started the blog, I put out a call to friends on Facebook for places that I should try (if they knew of any) and between FB comments and coworkers, I had 8 people telling me that I needed to venture off to a place in Oakland called homeroom within the day I mentioned it.  If there was that much positive feedback I knew I had to get out there, and soon. 

This last weekend I finally got a group of friends and some of their family together (9 of us!) and we all went to homeroom for lunch.

Restaurant:
homeroom
Mac + Cheese?  I think we've got a winner here.



Location:
400 40th Street Oakland, CA 94609  (A few blocks south of the MacArthur BART station)

The huge chalkboard wall that greets you when you enter the restaurant.  Adult beverages currently available are on thia board.
Specialty:
Homemade Root Beer, locally brewed beers on tap, homemade sweets and of course mac n' cheese

Menu:
Not only does it look like it's on notebook paper (awesome by the way) they have LOTS of varieties of mac n' cheese, this is the top half of page 1

And the bottom half.  The next three pages are devoted to beverages, sides, catering and desserts.
If you'd like to check out their full menu click HERE

My Meal:
Having looked over their menu I knew that I was going to need to visit homeroom quite a few times to try all that they've got to offer.  I also knew that a number of my friends were also excited to visit and a plan was devised.  If I had a few others with me, maybe if I was lucky they would let me try their meals.  End result?  I have great friends who let me sample their mac n' cheeses for the blog, in some cases before they even tried them.  I said thank you then, but I'm saying it again. Thank you!


Classic
Half and half!
I ordered the classic.  As breadcrumbs are optional on all meals, I figured that I should have a half with breadcrumbs and a half plain meal to get the best of both worlds.  This is a great homestyle cheddar mac n' cheese.  Not too strong, not too mild.  The noodles were nice and firm.  The roux wasn't a very wet roux and it really reminded me of the homestyle I make.  The breadcrumbs were crispy and gave the meal a nice crunch.  You honestly could go either way and I enjoyed both halves very much.

Additional Classics ordered by friends 
The classic with breadcrumbs

The classic with broccoli, mushrooms and breadcrumbs




Trailer Mac


My wife has always been a big fan of including hot dogs in the stove top mac's when we make them and fortunately for her homeroom is too.  The Trailer Mac comes with all beef hot dogs mixed into the creamy mac n' cheese and covered with your classic Lays style potato chips.  The noodles were nice and firm and this was a much saucier mac than the 'Classic' I had.  The potato chips were interesting, but I kind of wished that they were a ridged chip instead of the standard cut chip.  I think the extra crunch would be better (and because I'm not a fan of the classic potato chip).  The hot dog was also very good.  Overall this was a bit saltier than any of the other ones I tried thanks to the chips and hotdog, but it was still very good.

Little Mac



One friend brought along her daughter.  She got the appropriately sized (and named) Little Mac.  This is the same mac that was the base mac n' cheese used in the Trailer Mac.  I didn't try her's as I had already tried the Trailer Mac, but I'm sure if I asked nicely she would have let me sample it.  Smaller portion for a smaller person, someone who doesn't want leftovers or trying to be good in a place where nothing but tasty tasty mac n' cheese is served.

Vegan

Another friend who we happened to jump onto the same BART train for the ride out has turned to the dark side by scorning all things dairy.  While he's been a vegetarian as long as I've known him, he recently turned in his vegetarian membership and has become a card carrying vegan.  I'm glad he came along considering how badly my other non-dairy cheese meals have gone, I was afraid of having to com back and order this for myself.  He saved me a potential trip into the unknown and let me try his.  The noodles were again, nice and firm and the sauce was a pleasant surprise.  It wasn't really a cheesy sauce (obviously), but it was zesty and had a nutty undertone.  It was MILES better than any other non-dairy cheese mac I've had and though I'm a dairy kind of guy, if I had to I would eat this again.
 

Vermont White Cheddar
Not so sharp that you could cut glass, but it's got the underpinnings of a great sharp cheddah

If I didn't go with the classic (I just had to the first time out) I was going to have this mac n' cheese.  I am a BIG fan of sharp Cheddar.  My friend (who found the fried mac n' cheese at the fair) ordered this.  I'm glad she did. This mac is made with an aged white cheddar and comes out almost exactly like the Classic, except It's got that sharp cheddar twang.  It even comes with a bit of extra sharp cheddar shredded on the top for extra goodness. 

Tuna Mac

No Dolphins were harmed in the making of this dish
I'm not quite sure how my friend explained this trip to his signifigant other, who hadn't met me before this lunch but it played out like this in my head. 
**insert Wayne & Garth waving their arms and the doodley-doo sound effects**
Some friends are going to get mac n' cheese at this restaurant in Oakland and one of them is totally loony because he's reviewing every kind he can get his hands on for a blog.  When he gets all excited just nod in agreement and step back slowly.  If he suddenly attacks your dish try your best not to smack the crap out of him and i'll get you something nice for putting up with him later.  **fade out** 
I do realise that she did meet me for the first time on a walk to the restaurant and I did try to temper any over-excitement.  She was kind enough to share and this was another surprising dish.  It tasted like a cheesier tuna cassarole.  The tuna didn't overpower the mac and neither did the mac over power the tuna.  I'm not sure if I would want to make a whole meal of it, but the few bites I had were quite good.


Final Score:
homeroom was great.  An excellent restaurant that young and old will enjoy.  The wait staff were very friendly and the atmosphere was what one would hope to find in a small neighborhood restaurant.  Every mac I tried was great and even though there are a few more to try I'm sure they are also pretty good (even if they are spicy, or have Feta on them, things that make Steve frown normally).  If you're in the Bay Area you owe it to yourself to get to homeroom and experience this food.


No comments:

Post a Comment